From:
"LaMont K. Bankes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 17:16:38 -0600
>    I am building a computer with the MVP3
>chipset and  a K6-2 processor. I will be
>running a  1000mhz bus. I have  memory
>question. At this site,
>they are
>selling 64mb EEprom 10ns for $67, but they
>say it might not work on the Intel 440BX
>chipset.
>/page676.html ) Will it work with the MVP3?
>Should I go for the 6ns, 7ns, 8ns True
>PC100kind? I need help. Cost is a prime
>consideration, but so is stability,
>especially for games. :)

 Hi Chuck,

   I will give you my take on memory:  Buy the best SDRAM that you can find
and make the price issue a close 2nd.  I just put together a K6-2 300 system
and learned my lesson well about memory.  I bought some inexpensive 32mb-8ns
sdram (PC-100) and pulled my hair out for two days just trying to install
Win95/98.  I was getting lock-ups, blue screens, etc. . . I was running the
ram in the lowest bios settings on my FIC VA-503+ and the problems would
lessen but not go away.  Since then I took the ram back and bought some
lifetime warranty 64mb-7ns sdram.  I changed all the srdam settings in the
bios to run on the ragged edge and the system is solid as a rock!  You need
to weigh between system stability and how much hair you are willing to lose!
:-)  BTW, I was told by a tech that the 64mb sdram runs more stable than the
32mb (talking about PC-100) . . . I don't have any numbers on this, but I
thought I would just let you know.  Anyone else have any comments on 32 vs
64?  Was this just bunk or reality?

See ya,
LaMont