From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 2009 10:32:43 -0600
At 11:00 AM 5/1/2009, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>When I play a dvd movie it often freezes at some point in the movie
>and the pointer dosen't appear on the screen. If I'm in full-screen
>view (I usually am), the only thing Iv'e found I can do is
>ctrl-alt-delete which shows in processes that system is 99% idle
>(I have also run "Task Patrol" and "What's Running" and found no undue
>activity). However, the hard drive activity light stays on when the
>freeze occurs.
>Using ctrl+alt+del  also brings my task bar into view so I can try a restart.
>But when I attempt re-start, I get a rundll32.exe not responding.
>Selecting the "end now" button has no effect and I eventually have to
>manually reboot after which the dvd player works fine.
>
>Another strange thing during a "freeze", when I went to My Computer
>properties and clicked on Device Manager, it showed the hourglass
>pointer and ... nothing else.
>Device manager never opened.
>
>After reboot, I got in device manager and the only oddity was yellow
>exclaimations for
>Other Devices/Multimedia Audio Controller.
>
>The system is a Soyo Dragon 2 mobo with a P-4 3.20ghz
>2046 ram,  Axel GeForce FX 5500 gddr1 video card
>MSI TV@nywhere video capture card
>Sony DRU 530a dvd drive, Optarc AD 7200a dvd drive
>Creative SB Audigy 2 zs audio card
>WD 67gig 10,000 rpm HD
>xp home SP1
>
>DVD player is Cyberlink Power DVD ver. 5.0.0.822 which I download
>with another computer. It was either an older version or a trial
>edition which never quit working.
>
>This computer dosen't have any anti-virus or anti-spyware software as
>it's NEVER connected to the internet and I am carefull to scan any
>disc or flash drive in my other computer before using it (AVG, AdAware
>and Spybot S&D).
>
>It seems to be random as far as how far into a movie or if a sudden
>scene change might cause the freeze.

Believe it or not, this is a simple fix.  This behavior can happen not only to your PC,
but also to portable DVD players and highend DVD players in your home entertainment
center.  The laser light in the player cannot read the disk.  This can be caused by dirty
DVDs or a dirty player.  It takes so little, a smudge, smoke in the air, dust or about
anything that accumulates on the lens of your player.  All DVD players come with a
warning to clean the player regularly...  after every few DVDs.

I experience this occasionally even though I clean my players with cleaner disks
regularly, replacing the cleaner disks after only a dozen cleanings or so.  I also have
an electric Memorex disc cleaner and/or disc polisher to remove scratches or minor
imperfections in a disc.

I use Office Depot laser lens cleaner discs.  They are cheap and have six brushes on a disc.

   Bob Wright
Managing General Partner - The NoSpin Group, Inc.
ListOwner PCBUILD & PCSOFT
http://freepctech.com - http://nospin.com

.

                     visit our download web page at: