From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:54:32 -0500
Disclaimer first:
I don't see ANY full Retail versions and do not know if they come with a
COA sticker or not. (I assume they would...)
The Full RETAIL versions are portable to a new machine as long as the software
is removed from the old machine. On older versions with NO activation this
would be hard for MS to know for sure... -- Basically the honor system...
I suppose that since we "have" Windows Activation, we can see how well the
honor system worked... <grin>

What you "might" have been referring to (correctly) are the OEM versions...
They are, (and have always been), locked for life to a particular physical
machine.  The "small builders" OEM versions generally/always (YMMV?)
have "OEM" in the PID, (which is different from the Install key...)
The PID is what you see in Control Panel, System, General Tab...
(Path to screen changes with OS version...)

I never bothered looking at the DELLs, (BIG OEMs, etc.), since I know they
are BIOS locked versions, and will only work with an OEM MB of a specific
type... Activation can be "totally invisible" (most times) in a situation like this... :)

All of the above is subject to change depending on which "exact flavor" of OS.
MS has a dozen different "flavors" of OS disks (for the same specific version)
at any given time, and that does not count different languages...

                            Rick Glazier