From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:04:27 -0500
Hi,

I do not have real experience with this problem yet, but my first thought
is to put the Drive in an IDE to USB converter box and plug it in through
the USB port and try and access it.

Joe

At 09:58 AM 02/22/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>i installed windows xp home on a computer that was originally running xp
pro (don't ask). i selected delete partition as part of the setup, then
installed the o/s to the newly created partition. this new partition is
100% of drive c. i also had another separate hard drive, drive q, filled
with my mp3 files. the install went ok, but when i try to access drive q,
it isn't showing in "my computer". in disk management, it is listed as disk
1, dynamic, and foreign. it has an option to convert it to basic, but says
that this will destroy the data.  i've searched the ms knowledgebase, and
all i could find was something under win2k about importing foreign disk.
unfortunately import foreign disk isn't one of the choices for me in disk
mgmt. the only choice is "convert to basic".
>the drive is listed in device manager, and shows no problems.  it's set as
slave on the primary ide channel.  i also tried it as master on the
secondary channel.  i've tried logging on as administrator, and even tried
it from within safe mode.
>i removed the drive and put it into a different computer running win2k
pro, and there i was given the option to import foreign drive.  i did this
and was able to read and write to the drive.  i tried partition magic 8,
but all the options for the q drive were grayed out.
>it's file system is ntfs, and the xp installation on the c drive is using
ntfs.  when i was running xp pro,it had no problem accessing the files on
the other drive. does xp home support importing a foreign drive?  please
help me save my files!

Thanks,

Joe

                     visit our download web page at: