From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2009 01:48:21 +1000
I'm working on a friend's 6-month old computer. It has an Athlon 64-bit
dual-core 4200 chip and running XP SP3 with 1 Gb RAM.

It has suddenly stopped booting into Windows. As soon as it is past the
bios stage, it cuts out as if the power has been cut.

I suspected overheating, so I got into Bios and checked temps. The cpu,
with only bios loaded, is slowly building up to 75c. At that point the
power cuts out---I guess it's set to do so.

My guess therefore is that as soon as XP starts to load, cpu temperature
may be increasing within a few seconds to the point where power cuts
out.  Taking the sides off, the cpu is almost too hot to touch.

If I power off, blow air in via a desk fan, and wait several minutes for
the system to cool, it will remain in bios for several minutes before
cutting out. If I immediately try to reboot, it will cut out almost
immediately. So it looks to me like a cpu overheating problem which is
causing the boot failure.

What could be causing the cpu to overheat so rapidly?  Faulty power supply?
It's only 6 months old!

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com