From:
Lewis c Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:42:38 -0500
Folks,

I've been frustrated for many month with a sick computer (Athelon 900 MHz
CPU running Windows-Me)  that kept freezing up more and more frequently
and finally became just too much trouble to keep trying to reboot again
and again for the very few times that it actually would be usable for
short periods before freezing again.  I took it to a local repair shop
and paid them $30 for their info that they couldn't get it to boot either
after some unknown attempts to get it up and running.  All that I got
from them that was positive was that the power supply was OK.  They said
it might be the motherboard or a software problem.

Here's my idea as to how to isolate the problem - so will ask for
comments.

Idea #1 - Remove the hard drive from the sick machine and slave it to the
hard drive in my older Windows-95 machine (with a Pentium CPU) and see if
the problem also appears here - if not, the problem  would be the
motherboard or associated hardware in the W-Me machine.  If it causes the
same problem (freeze ups) in the W-95 machine it would be something on
the hard drive from the W-Me machine.

Idea #2. - Do essentially the same thing, but instead of slaving the W-Me
hard drive to the one in the W-95 machine, buy a hard drive USB "cage"
and put the W-95 hard drive in the cage connected to the W-Me machine and
see what happens.

I guess I'm displaying my ignorance here, but hate to give up what I
already have on hand and, there are a few things on the W-Me hard drive
that I'd like to recover.

If either of these ideas are kuku can one of you kind folks suggest what
in-house diagnostics I might perform here without additional costs.  I'm
kinda elderly and can't spend too much on this.

Many thanks,

Lewis Emerson

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml