From:
barry clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 16:57:01 -0000
Bruce,
Your best bet is to Backup all of the data you want to transfer over to your
new disk now so that if your current disk dies at least your files are
saved!Use your recovery cd and reinstall on your new disk. After all of your
necessary drivers,etc... are back on then you can upgrade to WinME.

Barry CLark
MCSE

>From: "Bruce D. Bridson" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: [PCBUILD] Replacing Hard Drive
>Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 07:48:01 -0500
>
>I have a Compaq Presario 5020. I recently found out that my 8GB hard drive
>is going bad, it has a large chunk of its total size in bad sectors, even
>after several attempts of reformatting. I went out and purchased a new
>Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 30 GB Hard drive.  Before I begin replacing it I
>was wondering what steps I should take?  I want to install either Windows
>98SE or Windows ME, not sure which one is better? and I wanted to do it
>without using the system restore cd that came with my computer if at all
>possible the cd has windows 98 on it.  I am currently using the computer
>but I cant rely on it not falling soon.  What drivers will I need? can this
>be done? what other steps will I need to do inorder to make this process as
>painless as possible?  Thanks
>
>         The NOSPIN Group provides a monthly newsletter with great
>        tips, information and ideas: NOSPIN-L, The NOSPIN Magazine
>            Visit our web site to signup: http://freepctech.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml