From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 20:49:29 -0800
Rob wrote:
> What are you folks' takes on whether or not to shut down nightly,
> occasionally, rarely?

Well, I shut all of my systems down at night and have been doing so for
years. I guess it's a matter of perspective as to what one should do. I do
not have an investment in the Electric company therefore I must conserve
when I can.

A while back... years to be exact, I think there was a thread on this list
dealing with that very subject. It related to the fans working all the time
and gathering dust in the grills. As you know, many of us who service
machines can attest to the dust and cigarette nicotine layering the inside
of the case. It can also present a possible fire hazard if the power supply
fan fails and the dust is ignited. Where you keep your box also makes a
difference. If you keep the box on the floor, have an animal with long hair,
you can bet the box is hairy and the grills are occluded. What this means
is, no cooling, no computer. If you leave the system on all the time, the
memory isn't purged which may cause the system to become erratic and
unstable. I prefer to let my systems sleep so they will be well rested and
ready to work hard the next day.

Anyway that is my professional opinion.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka