From:
Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 08:14:53 EDT
add my experience to the fray. Somewhere in the Win98 update process, I got a
step wrong and the automatic update does not run properly. I think a Java applet
or an ActiveX control is corrupted and some of my web page animations don't
work as they should, but the problem is limited. ( My apologies in advance to
programmers out there if I've unfairly targeted the wrong app.) In any case,
the workaround that I've found is to visit the Windows Update page and to search
the catalog base for my system. I then picked out all of the updates that
were recommended or critical in nature and directed them to download into a
particular folder on my HDD. It takes a little bit of time to search through the
multitude ":^)" of files, but now that I have saved them to HDD and burned a CD
of them, I'm a little more at ease. Microsoft's Support will eventually
terminate but I'm almost positive that there will be the ability to get key critical
components elsewhere on the Web. Hope this helps.

Chris Ryan