From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:46:37 -0400
There was a thread on this list a month or two ago about the best hard drives, and nearly all the contributors said that Fujitsus had high failure rates.  The consensus was to stay away from them. Fujitsu is a big company that makes notebooks and other products which have been highly rated.  The hard drives are another matter.

>Our MIS department got a 'great' deal on 2 GB to 20 GB Fujitsu hard
>drives. Only problem is that there seems to be an abnormally high
>failure rate of these drives after they have been in use for anywhere
>from 500 hours to 5000 hours (we are experiencing about a 20 % failure
>rate).
>
>I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this company and the
>quality of their drives. I remember several years ago there was a
>company (JTS I think) that made and sold drives dirt cheap, but that is
>what you got - dirt. I'm wondering if Fujitsu is possibly in the same
>ballpark, because it sure doesn't seem that they last like Winchesters,
>Seagates, Maxtors, etc.  Any input s would be most appreciative.

                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>