From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 23:31:21 -0400
Do you have software like Roxio or Nero installed?  There is one thing worth
mentioning if you do.  If you have packet writing enabled so you can use
your cdrw like a diskette for dragging and dropping files in windows
explorer, you may see some choppy performance from the cd, as it is
constantly polled by the software for status information.  In my case this
had little impact on programs associated with the cd, like playing music or
burning cds.  My games (and any install cd like Office) stuttered, however,
if the packet writing for Roxio was enabled.

Another thing I've seen, the wrong version of directx can have this effect
on games.
Tom Turak