From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:37:46 -0700
Cindy Sanderson wrote;
>I would hear one long beep followed by 3 short ones
>and no video, monitor remains black.

According to my list of beeps, there could be a possible problem with
The video adaptor or memory. This would account for the monitor remaining
black and also the indicator light showing yellow instead of green which is
normal. Upon startup the BIOS runs it stuff and if the video card is working
properly, the power indicator light for the monitor will go from yellow to
green.

>I took it to the company that built it and they said I had a power issue

If this be the case, does the system operate correctly in "their" shop?
Those of us who have been in the business a while pretty much know when
someone is giving you the business. Not all shops are created equal.

>but I got the computer shut off before the storm and the house lights never
>flickered and it was also on a power surge protector.

In some respects this is all right. If the surge protector is of good
quality you shouldn't expect any problems.

> They had to reflash the BIOS to fix it.  The PC worked for awhile but one
>Sat. morning, same thing and the PC had been off all week.  They reflashed
>the BIOS again.

How odd is this? They had to "reflash" the BIOS twice and you still have the
same problem? At this point I would be a little upset. The same crash
happening three times is not a common thing to happen. The "shop" should
assure you that they can fix the problem or give you a new motherboard and
video card that is if it is separate from the motherboard. If not, ask for a
new Motherboard on the assumption that there is a defect in the present one.
I'm drawing at straws here because there isn't enough information to give
you anything except a generic answer. In any case, stick to your guns with
them.

Un-installing a program shouldn't cause that kind of a problem. We all
delete files and remove programs all the time with little or no ill effect.
You should expect virtually trouble free computing. On the remote side of
all this, maybe the power supply is a little anemic. Maybe when the tech
mentioned you had a "power issue" maybe they were making reference to the
power supply. There are several areas to question. It may also be an
overheating issue to.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers