From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 01:00:54 -0700
On 6 Oct 2004 at 11:37, Mark Rode wrote:

> Well, a MAC address is one way you can secure, for example, a WAP, or
> Router, if the router supports it. It is the best security,  because it is
> very difficult for someone to identify, and spoof a MAC address, although
> such authorization is difficult to manage on large networks.

  MAC addresses are almost never used to secure routers.  They're grequently
used to secure fancier switches (which operate in terms of MAC addresses).

  Experts on several security mailing lists I'm on seem to feel that it's
not much use in securing a WAP.  Unlike with a properly-functioning switch,
it's relatively easy to discover the MAC address of anything that the WAP
allows to connect with it.  There are other options in wireless security
that are much more effective.

Dave Gillett