From:
Don Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 02:23:49 -0400
When a computer gets a hit from lightening, it can transmit to the
computer without making the computer smell like fried parts and pieces.
I believe that the systems power supply absorbed the hit and tripped a
fusible link located in the power supply.  I would not attempt replacing
the fuse(dangerous), I would just try replacing the power supply.
BUT... (there's always a but.....)  Since the computer itself is
delicate, it may have also sustained some further damage beyond the
power supply.  It could have fried other components or over-charged them
in a way that they will still work, but will cause errors (Blue Screen
of Death) or other oddball errors.  I would bring the system to a
computer repair person, or a "GURU" that you can trust.  They can test
questionable parts or swap them out with some used ones to see if they
still work.  If the power supply swap works right off the bat, and the
system runs...  Keep an eye on how the system connects to the net.  The
modem or network card may also have been damaged in the strike.  And as
always, get a guaranteed surge protector, or even better, a power backup
system that can handle both filtering your power and internet
connection.  Good luck

Don Morgan
Mountain Computers