Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 01:14:54 GMT
Hi Bonnie,
You might have to go into the systems BIOS sittings and set the boot order so the CD is the first on the list.
It might be set to boot directly from the hard drive at the factory in order to make the system boot faster. (If it doesn't have to look for a floppy or cd it saves time at boot)
You also might have gotten a bootable floppy disk that would have the DOS mode drivers for your drive.
Since the system is older and running Win95 these drivers might be necessary to initialize the CD drive and sometimes automatically start the setup files on the restore CD.
This floppy might be available as a self extracting image file downloadable from the manufactures website.
As far as seeing the drive in the BIOS setup screens, depending on the system, that might never have been an option.
If you do not have a splash screen that comes up when you boot then you might be able to see the CD drive detected at boot (along with the hard drive).
That would be a good sign it is operational.
Hope this helps,
Clint Worley
Worley Technology
(Not a company, just me!)

BonnieAlexander <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I recently installed a cd-rom into a packard bell computer that is running win 95.
The cd-rom will work when you insert the cd and open my computer and click on d drive. You can view the contents of the cd and use it from there. But i need to run my restore disk on the computer and it does not read the cd. I went into setup and it is not showing that there is a cd rom installed. When the computer first starts up it says there was no cd rom found. Is the cd rom bad or is there something else i have to do? Thanks

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml