From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 12:09:29 -0700
>It usually depended on the motherboard, the manual for the board will
>give you instructions on how to fill the slots, (you should be able to find
>the manual on the manufacturers web site).

Unfortunately it is not available on this particular board

>Those boards allowed for one 72pin simm in a slot, but the 30pin simms
>must be in matched sets of two each.

Really....I know  that with boards that are ALL thirty pin ram you must use
sets of four and there are usually two banks. Do combo boards use sets of
two for the 30 pin ?

>You will need to insure that all the memory is either parity or non-parity.
>This can cause some issues also.   You should also remember that the
>30pin simms typically are much slower than the 72pin chips and will slow
>the entire system memory to the slowest speed.

Yes but it is the difference between 70ns which is typical for FPM RAM and
80 which is typical for 30 pin. The extra Ram makes up for the loss in
timing and it is a 486 with a couple of specific jobs so any small
performance hit isn't going to be a big issue. Does anybody know if the
parity issue between the 72 and 30 pin back is a certainty.....it must match?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html