From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 2005 11:44:19 -0500
Most of us don't travel in the circles where those kinds of utilities are part of our life, but I don't think you can guarantee anyone anything with a straight face other than death and taxes.  If such a utility doesn't yet exist you can be sure some bored hacker will invent it someday.  If big banks, big government, and big Microsoft has to worry about being hacked, I don't think it is reasonable for any customer to expect you to promise that they will never be hacked.  All you can do is the best you can. Don't make any promises, just remind them with a straight face that are no guarantees in life other than death and taxes.

Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I did not want to "steal the thread", so I started this side subject.
>They started mentioning back-ups, etc.
>To me (from personal preference) that means either a
>Norton "Ghost Image" or an "Acronis TrueImage" file(s)...
>
>I don't even remember if Ghost supports passwords, but Acronis
>allows password protecting their Image files. You even need
>the password to verify the Image Integrity.
>
>My real question is: How secure is that password?
>Are there any utilities that will easily break those passwords?
>Not dictionary attacks, etc... Something that goes in and "gets"
>the password...
>
>I would be interested it making secure back-ups for people
>with the understanding that ONLY they could get into them,
>and to be able to say that with a straight face, and for all of us
>to be able to rely on that as being correct...
>
>I am not interested in "finding" one of those utililities, just knowing
>if they exist or not.
>
>I do not think the actual software vendor is the "best" place to
>ask this question, since they might say it is "perfectly secure" <grin>
>
>                      TIA,   Rick Glazier

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: