From:
Art Cassel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 22:04:21 -0800
Hello Yui,

While I readily agree with your experiences, I guess I should have
elaborated a bit more on some points which I'll take the liberty of
doing now.

Yui and I wrote:

> > 2) You WILL have problems with older CD players reading CD-R/RW disks.
> > A rule of thumb is that anything below 24X is real iffy for reading
> > copies and backups.
>
> Not true. Newer doesn't always mean better. I have Sony, Panasonic,
> and Hitachi drives less than 10x used in shuttles to restore customers'
> pc's from  CD-R discs. Some of the (24x's or >) have such poor
> optics, vibration buffering, etc. such as BTC, and Lite-On that I had
> to reduce the read ahead buffering to get them to read a CD-R disc.

The 4X Mitsui (sp?) on my P-90 (app.1995) Compaq reads anything I burn.
Working on other computers, I have run into problems on 2X, 4X, and 12X
CD drives but not on all at those speeds.  I would like to think that
members of this group, including the many newbies, have learned that in
all things concerning computers, there's usually a reason why products
with the "same" specs are not always equal.  Your experience with cheepo
CD drives matches mine.  Buy all parts from a reputable manufacturer.
As in all things, there are no free lunches.

> > 8) When using an IDE burner, use alt-cnt-del to shut down everything
> > non-essential to your computer and that includes anti-virus, sound
> > cards,etc..  Failing to do this will inevitably produce a fine
> > collection of coasters to keep your coffee cups on.  You'll discover the
> > pleasure of the buffer overrun GUI if you don't believe!
>
> This is true on slower systems, or pc's with issues to resolve.

While SCSI burners won't suffer these problems, I stand by my statement
as written.  I have had problems on my system running Celerons at
300-550 as solid as a rock.  Norton AV seems to be the usual culprit.
BTW, I wasn't testing the system, just occasionally get into to much of
a rush and forget to shut the goodies down.

Art Cassel