From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:40:07 -0700
On 9 Jun 99, at 18:54, Shawn M. Shea wrote:

> I have an NT server with two NICs. One servicing a 10BaseT hub and one a
> 100BaseT hub. Currently using NETBEUI as the only protocol. I need some of
> the 10BT members to see the 100BT members but of course they are unable
> to. If I switch the protocol to TCP/IP will this fix the situation or
> should I simply switch these members over to 100BaseT network cards. Many
> thanks.

  TCP/IP is a routable protocol; if you switch to that, there's a box in the
Networking control panel you can check to allow your server to function as a
router joining the two subnets.[*]
  [You have two SEGMENTS, one at 10Base-T and one at 100Base-T.  If you had a
BRIDGE to connect them, you could have a single IP subnet span both segments,
but you don't.]
  Make sure that you have NBT -- NetBIOS over TCP/IP -- enabled on the
clients.  If they only run NetBIOS over NetBEUI, they still won't see beyond
their home segment.

  Your simplest bet is probably to assign (different...) IP addresses to the
NICs, install DHCP on the server (this probably means a Service Pack
reinstall...), and configure your client machines to obtain an address from
DHCP.  "DHCP relay" allows an NT server with two NICs to relay DHCP services
from one segment to the other; I'm not certain that you need to enable this
when the DHCP service is actually running on that machine, but it's probably
a good idea.
  Your address ranges on the two segments will need to be from different
subnets (and the addresses you assign to the NICs should be members of the
appropriate subnet ranges, although not allocated by DHCP.  Each client will
need to be given the appropriate IP address to find the DHCP server....
  192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x are reasonably good choices, both with a subnet
mask of 255.255.255.0.  [x must be 1-254; 0 and 255 are reserved.]  x should
probably be 1 for both NICs on the server.

  DHCP, the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, lets the server hand out
unique IDs to the clients as needed, rather than forcing you to hand-
configure each one.  Make sure that you also have WINS enabled, so you (and
applications) can easily convert between NetBIOS machine names and IP
addresses.

  [This all kind of assumes that if you wanted this net to connect to the
Internet, you'd already be using TCP/IP on it....]

[*] Using an NT Server *just* as a router is not a great idea, but as a quick
measure when the hardware is already in place, it will do.

David G