From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:43:01 -0800
Loy Pressley wrote:
>most everything that I have on this
> computer will work with WinXP except my Umax 3400 Scanner
> and its VistaScan software.

There is no guarantee that the drivers will work either. Older systems and
software may run on Windows XP but you may experience glitches in the
operation. This meaning freezes to the program.

>I went looking for an XP
> compatible driver for the Umax3400

Did you check the Umax web site? I know the verbiage states the CD is for
sale but if you have version VistaScan 3.75.00 all you have to do is
download the patch
http://www.umax.com/download/index.jsp

>found one at www.driversguide.com however, it is in a zip file and has no
> directions on how to install it.

A zip file sometimes requires a program like "Winzip" or "Pkzip" to open it
unless the zip file is self extracting in which case you won't have to be
concerned about it. I have not ventured to driversguide so I don't know what
format the file is in. You can click on it and as suggested look for the
"read me" file and see if it gives instructions.

> I know it is a cheap scanner but it has always worked very well on my
system.  I would hate to give up on it.

Like most things in the world of computers, things change and we have a
choice to either change with them or get lost in the dust. What works today
may or may not work tomorrow. Windows XP is only the start.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,