From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:18:01 -0700
I have two separate issues.  First, I set up a client with Diamond's 10Mbs Homefree networking cards.  Three computers networked through the phone lines on a "supposedly" 10Mbs connection.  An IBM PIII600 is the ICS server, and the clients are a Compaq 5220 Presario (I don't know the CPU speed) and a Sony VIAO PII266 Mhz machine.  The IBM machine is connected to the internet through a Cisco 675 DSL modem.  I have the modem piped through the Diamond network card on the ICS machine, and the other connection goes to the wall.  I tried hooking the Diamond card through the modem and hooking the modem straight to the wall, but that did not work.

The internet connection is working on both client machines, but it is SSSLLLLOOOOWWWW!!!  At best it's the same as a 33.6k connection.  If a page has heavy graphics the whole thing rarely loads (I get a lot of boxes with an "X" in them, and most of the text is missing).  Transfering files between each system seems to be o.k.  It takes about 10 seconds to transfer a 6MB file, about what I would expect, so I have a hard time pointing my finger at the cards themselves.  Diamond suggested I delete the Hkey_Local_Machine/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Icsharing/Settings/General/InternetMTU key from the host machine.  I did this, but it does not appear to make a difference.  Any/all suggestions on how to speed this up are welcome.

The second problem is with the Compaq 5220 Presario.  It has the modem (which I left in the machine for the dial-up banking program the client has), the video card, and the Diamond network card sharing IRQ 11.  I took the Compaq out of the network to make sure that it wasn't what was causing my slow internet problem (the Sony was still just as slow as before).  Anybody know a "safe" way to change the IRQ's around?  The last time I changed the IRQ on a network card it hosed all my network settings and I had to rebuild the entire setup from scratch.  Again, any/all suggestions welcome.  Sorry for the long post.

TIA

Kyle Elmblade

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org