From:
"Changhsu P. Liu" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 11:26:22 -0500
Data files (e.g., Word documents, StuffIt files) are readable and intact on
PC, but not the applications. Many Mac files (usually applications) have
both data and resource forks in one file. When you copy a program file to
PC, you may only see the data portion of it or you may see it as 2 files
(one data, one resource) depending on which program you use to connect Mac
and PC. (I believe PC MacLan allows you to see it as 2 files, while PC
service from Appleshare can only see data portion.) When you press a CD
with Mac programs on PC, program files are corrupt when you try to launch
them on a Mac.

What I usually do is to compress all program files with StuffIt, and
transfer the files to PC and make CDs on these files. When I need to use
them, I just decompress them on the Mac. Data files (especially those who
are cross-platform, like Office, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat,
QuickTime, MPEG, etc..) are fine without compression. On the other hand,
many files lose their icons so you need to open them from within the
program they were created.

I'm not sure how NT server can help you in burning Mac files on PC. It can
be used as Mac file server, but I don't know if any PC CD burning program
can recognize data and resource forks and create CDs with Mac properties
intact. If anyone knows one, please let me know. I know one program can
take a Mac hard drive and create hybrid CDs, but it won't allow you to
choose and mix files from a Mac volume.

Changhsu Liu

At 07:44 AM 12/01/99 -0500, you wrote:
 >Okay, now I'm more confused!  :)  Chris, if the files can't be read on a PC
 >(and I assume I can't use the Windows cutting program, EZ CD Creator), how
 >would the Ethernet connection help?  How do I set up such a connection?
 >
 >(If this discussion is swerving OT, please respond privately.  Thanks!)
 >
 >"The seeds you sow today are the crops you'll reap tomorrow!"
 >Paul Villano

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org