Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 00:43:02 EDT
No.. I know about the  partitions.  I was just wondering if they are the same
on different makes  of computers..  I have no plans on doing this to some
other computer, but  was just wanting to know.  I do have a much older Dell which
is not  working, but don't think that formatting is the problem with it.  I
do know  how to get the drivers, etc. I have formatted this one on my own.
Thanks  for your input.  Harriet
--------------------------
I think you have several questions mixed together or are asking
the  wrong<?> thing, or at least in the wrong way<?>...  <grin>...

So, I will explain what I am answering and you see if it  fits...

Fomatting a HD is when you get it "ready" to accept an  installation of an
OS...
First you partition a HD, and then you format  it...  Some OSs will "do" this
for you (or at least lead you) during  their install...

The format (if done manually) has to be in a form the OS  will understand,
such as FAT 32 for WinME/Win98 or NTFS for Win-XP
(XP  also works with FAT32, but is less secure and/or robust...)

I have always  made it a HABIT (based on good practices) to always
partition and format an  HD IN the computer it is meant to be used in...
This may be due to earlier  days in computing when there were different
motherboard BIOSs that used  slightly different forms of LBA "and such
technical stuff..."

In what  seems to be the second part of your question, you must HAVE the
proper  drivers install (or be ready to be installed) for the hardware you as
 using...

The last question seems to be easy, but ONLY if you have  a FULL RETAIL
version of the OS Install CD. In that case the answer is  YES...
If you are trying to use an OEM CD from a large manufacturer,  then you
can (or will) have a variety of results, and some (many) will be  quite
poor...

Hope this helps... Keep all questions on list... (And  legit...)

Rick Glazier

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml