From:
Diane Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:44:28 -0700
On 8/19/05, Amy Ledford <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
 I know that this will work, but you may have
> to buy new equipment. You will need a router that is
> HPN compatible, and an HPN adapter for the PC. (HPN=
> Home Phone Networking) I am afraid though that this
> feature is not going to be found in a regular
> DSL/cable router. In other words, it probably will not
> work with a router that also has to have a modem to
> connect. You will need to have a "DSL" router, such as
> the 2wire, Netopia, or Westell Versalink. But the
> features are model-specific, so check with the
> manufacturer first.

Thanks, Amy.

There is a 2Wire here, model 1000SW, that was replaced with the
Speedstream from SBC.  In fact, there is so much equipment from both
households that I'm hoping to get this thing configured without any
additional financial outlay; but if I have to open my own dsl account,
I will if it means nothing within their setup will be messed with.

In addition to the 2Wire:
VisionNet modem,
Netgear router from my old place - it's up in the guest house and not
handily referred to,
Netgear FS 105 Switch,
Linksys wireless router

Computers are running XP, with the desktop on Pro.

They'd switched from AOL Broadband to SBC dsl and so have the kit from
SBC...it has the cd and some filters for the phone lines.  I thought
maybe I could use those?

> You did not mention whether the main house is on a
> separate electrical circuit from the guest house. If
> they are on the same circuit, this will work. Just to
> clarify, what I mean by the same circuit is: If you
> were to turn off the main circuit breaker in the main
> house, does the guest house also lose power? Another
> way to tell: does the guest house have its own set of
> circuit breakers? if the answer to the first question
> is yes, and the second is no, this next idea will
> work. (But being honest, I don't expect it.) It's
> called Powerline at Bellsouth, so it may be known by
> another name as well. It uses ethernet and electical
> wiring to connect. You will need 2 of these adapters
> to complete the connection. One adapter connects by
> ethernet from the router to an electrical outlet. The
> second connects by ethernet from the computer in the
> guest house to an electrical outlet.

I've heard about Broadband over Powerline (BPL).  The tech from the
local shop setup one place, so maybe I'll ask him about it.  Sounds
pretty cool.

> Good luck and hope this helps!

Sure does get me started.  Thanks a ton!

Diane

> --- Diane Duncan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > I'm temporarily in my folks' guest house.  They have
> > SBC dsl in the
> > main house and the guest house has the same phone
> > numbers and phone
> > system.
> >
> > I would like to put dsl here in the guest house,
> > either stand
> > alone/new or networked off the main house, too far
> > away for either
> > cabling or wireless relay (did I make that up?)

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com