From:
Timchenko Maxim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 14:58:22 +0200
The point here is, how much data, and how often? If you've 1-2Gbs of data
to store weekly, CD-RW is a viable solution. If you must do a 20G backup
nightly, then CD-RW is not for you -- go with tape or other solutions.

I think CD-RW is the best solution for a home or SOHO system. On my PC
there are 25 Gb in use, but most of them are programs, music, images, etc.
that I don't need to back up. My backup files are only 1 Gb of "image"
backup (full content of the drive I need to copy) bimonthly and 1-5 MBs of
weekly updates, and that's a load CD-RW can handle easily (especially the
weekly updates part - CD-R drive wouldn't be suitable here).

Think about the extra things Hal mentioned (audio, simply giving something
BIG (over 5 Mb) to someone) and CD-RW is almost a must for every PC. In
fact, Apple announced it is installing CD-RW / DVD-RAM+CD-RW drives in
some of its computer models as a standard equipment! Add $2 per blank
CD-RW media cost and you have a win-win situation.

As for the size, don't err: tape holds MUCH more than a CD, and that's
why it is the preferred backup method for many servers:

--- start quote: http://docs.rinet.ru:8080/NT4/ch23.htm#E69E86
--- (an EXCELLENT document on backup, UPS, and other topics)

One format that has recently been gaining wide-spread acceptance for its
high transfer rates, long shelf life and high capacity, is the digital
linear tape (DLT). DLT provides about three times the storage capacity of
8mm tapes (10 to 40 gigabytes depending on compression and type of DLT
drive), not to mention three times the speed (between 2.5 and 3.0
megabytes per second sustained transfer with peaks up to 10.0 megabytes
per second), and more than five times the expected life span (tape shelf
life of 30 years, and drive head life of 10,000 hours).

--- end quote

Yours,

<> Max Timchenko [MaxVT]
<>

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Hal Trachtenberg wrote:

> I'm considering a CD Burner and I'm looking for some
> > feedback from those of you who have such units or, perhaps, use another
> > method. My only reason, at least at this point, for
> > having/considering a burner is simply to back up data.  That may change
> > depending upon the input I receive, however.
>
> I use a CD-RW for burning my own audio CDs and backing up data. If you are
> used to a tape backup system then I'm sure you will enjoy how much quicker
> backing things up will be with a CD-RW drive. Not only will it be faster,
> but a CD will hold more data than a tape, and for what it costs for a tape
> cartridge you can probably get 5 blank CD-RW disks. I would strongly
> recommend getting a CD-RW drive. It is the best investment I have ever made
> for my computer.

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>