From:
m_sayer_ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:13:41 -0000
Hi, I'm interested in the answer to this question as well, as I have a
system with a very similar problem.
My one is running win98se, with onboard sound (or lack of it). The sound was
disabled in the bios, but I've enabled it. There is the speaker icon there,
but no sound.
One of the devices it keeps loading into the sound part of device manager is
'disabled device'. I can't work out why.
That's probably my problem, but when I remove it, it just reloads itself on
a reboot.
I think the onboard sound might be bad, and that maybe why it was disabled
to start with, but I want to find out for sure before installing a sound
card.
I've been into the properties and made sure everything else was enabled (and
turned up)
This particular 'disabled device' has nothing relevent in the properties,
and says no drivers have been loaded for it.
Anyone got any ideas?
TIA.
Michele Sayer

I have a Sony 1.7 GHz pentium running Windows XP home. Today while online I
noticed the sound was not working. It worked when I got online but stopped
working about 15 minutes later. I rebooted and still no sound. I tried new
speakers but still no sound. All the sound stuff in hardware properties say
it is
working and has no conflicts. When I try to play a sound with Windows Media
Player, it appears to be playing but no sound comes out of the speakers. I
also
tried plugging headphones into my speakers but no sound. I checked the
volume
controls and nothing is muted. Does anyone have any ideas what could be the
problem? If the sound went bad, could it still show up in as working
properly in
device manager? I'm stumped.

Gary South

---