From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 23:59:55 -0500
From: "Joel M. Blackman" :Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 9:13 PM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] A drive doesn't work

> I bought a new drive and cable and tested that.  The symptoms were the same.
> I do not have another box available to test the one in the computer, but I
> am relying on the fact that a brand new drive and cable did exactly the same
> thing.  I disconnected my D drive and used that power connector on the CD-RW
> so that the power lead to the A drive was alone on that lead.  The CD-RW was
> working, so there is power to that lead.  I just disconnected the D drive to
> take some burden off the PS and to give the A drive its own lead.
>
> I have a jumper on this board, but have not done that yet.  Flashing the
> BIOS is going to be problemmatical without an A drive since that has to be
> done in DOS.  In as much as I cannot access this drive in DOS, safe mode, or
> Win 98, how would I be able to flash it.  There is a newer version of the
> BIOS which I have on a Zip disk, but so far as I know I will not have
> support for the zip drive.  I do not have the means at hand or the time
> available to test the power lead, run the drive on another machine, etc.  I
> am only able to what I've done so far, and some of the things like clearing
> the BIOS. I'll let you know how it works.  Thanks, Joel

Joel,

You do not need the floppy drive to flash a BIOS.  If you go into Win98 and copy your BIOS information from the Zip drive to a folder on the C drive ( I usually use a folder named BIOS) , you can then boot to DOS and change directories to the BIOS directory and execute your flash utility for the bios or the BIOS bin file.  Both the bios flash utility( if you have one) and the BIOS bin file must be in the folder.  I usually make a back up copy of the current BIOS and save it to the same folder in case I have any problems before I flash the new BIOS.

Good luck, hope this will work for you.

Mary Wolden
A+, Net+, MCP+I, MCSE, CNA, CCNA
Cisco Networking Academy Instructor