From:
"Steven J. Wolfe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 22:15:51 -0600
Alan Schneider wrote:

> I have a Maxtor 91020D6 10 GIG hard drive in a Pentium II 400
> system.  While looking thru System Properties in Win98 I saw that there is
> a "DMA" box there that is not checked.
> I know my HD has Ultra DMA.  Should I check this box?
>
> --

If you check the DMA box, and re-start, you should see a performance
increase. This option will then use the mainboards chipset, BX I would guess
in your case, to perform I/O for the UDMA drive. This also takes the load off
the CPU for additional performance. The only Main board chipsets, that have
caused problems with this to my knowledge are the early VIA MVP3 chipsets. In
which case you would just leave the dma box unchecked!!

Steve Wolfe

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org