From:
Mike Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:58:20 EDT
If we knew your chipset, BIOS string, motherboard or other hardware we could
give a litttle more guidence.  However, your motherboard and chipset can
effect the way output is shown.  Some chipsets start with 1MB of system ram
used for video during the bootup and then change to a video card once the
operating system takes over.  First check the BIOS setting to see if you have
any conflict between on board video and your video card.  Hold down on the
DEL during startup...Look for conflicts on board versus PCI video.

Second, can you boot the system up in the Safe Mode?...i.e.. start, continue
to hold down on the CTRL key until the Windows 98 Startup menu appears.  Then
chose Safe Mode.  This will bypass device drivers.  If it will start then you
likely have a issue with a reasource conflict.  If you get video then you
should remove all cards but the video card as see if it will start.  Make
sure you have the right driver for you video card available.  Remove and
replace the Video Card and RAM.  Work through the issues a card at a time.

If you have a black screen in the safe mode you could have a bad video card
or motherboard as the booting with video sort of rules out bad RAM..  Good
luck.

Regards,
Mike Scott

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,