Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 01:05:24 +1000
From: "Larry Knox" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2000 4:17 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] cd-rw

> I am building a new computer (my first) and I would like to include a
cd-rw.
> I would like any input from all the experts out there as to which would be
the
> best. My ideal unit would include the drive (of course) software and all
cables
> etc. I have seen one from Acer-8x4x32x 8mb buffer with adaptec
software,any thoughts? I don't > want to spend more than $200.00

A good basic drive, you are not making mistake here, however I do have
little word to adaptec software, as they (in the past) gave me to much
troubles. I perfer Nero for software. It is better idea to have both, use
Nero for CD copy and Adaptec for normal data. Plus, in case one doesn't
work, use the other.

> The computer I am building is as follows MSI 6195 K7Pro motherboard 750
Athlon cpu 256Ram ATI XPERT@PLAY98 video card Creative Labs Soundblaster
PCI128 and LG CD-ROM. I am fairly new to this so any advice would be greatly
appriciated. I am also running windows 98se

Why not get a MSI 6330 or ASUS A7V and AMD T-bird/Duron CPU? those mobo use
latest KT133 chipset which give you easy path for cpu upgrade, plus new
T-bird is the fastes, and Duron has the best performance at a low low price,
I don't see any reason to use old Athlon cpu anymore (there seems no price
advatage for old Athlon cpu, and Duron is at much lower price but provide
same or better performance).

For video card: Someone may see me as a nVidia fan, but I'm really not any
fan at all (some years ago, my friend call me a "3dfx fan" when voodoo 1 was
the only true 3D card), I only see who is better. I'd go for a TNT2 Ultra
(if on budget), or Geforce 2 MX (if I want good 3D performance but don't
have top $), or if I have enough $, I will get a Geforce 2 Ultra ( about
$499 USD) for best 3D performance.

Important: always get a brand name RAM (eg. Micro), perfer at least CAS 2,
7ns PC133 SDRAM which is capable to run at configuration at 2-2-2 CAS2
133Mhz.

Jun Qian

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>