From:
Dale Allen Boland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 21:08:18 -0500
I'm repeating my original message below -- I didn't specify that I am running Windows ME.  Thanks for any help!!!

Today I turned the computer on & it did the whole 'detect improper shutoff' and repair deal.  There were some damaged filed which I saved & then it went to this message:

"Windows has detected new hardware and is searching for dirvers for it."

I then had the option of letting it search automatically or directing the search myself.  Either way I don't have a clue what the "new hardware" could possibly be, so how could I choose the right driver?

After following every possible path, I end up with this error message:

"Enum\HTREE\ROOT\0

SURegCreateKey failed!"

at which point the only thing the computer will respond to is ctrl-alt-delete.  It goes to a choice of start mode (safe, normal...) but no matter what I do I end up in the same place with the same error message.

At the bottom of the first screen (with the choice of startup mode) is this message:

"Windows has detected a registration/configuration error.  Use SCANREG to correct this error."

How can I get to DOS to do this????  What else can I do?

Thank you!!!!  Dale Allen Boland   [log in to unmask]

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>