From:
Postmaster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 08:55:04 -0400
>Thanks for your suggestion. But what would you recomend if I wanted to
>buy a
>wide hard drive, which in fact is what I'm planning to buy. What is your
>opinion on the 2940UW. I aprreciate all your help since this is really
>the first time I'm going to build my own PC.

The 2940UW is an excellent card and the 2940U2W is a pretty neato card too
you can plug devices into the U2W, UW and the narrow port all at the same
time only problem I had with the 2940U2W was that it would not detect the
HDD's if I tried to setup NT server from the CD but when I did it from
floppies and skipped the detecting of mass storage devices and just entered
them all myself it worked, I couldn't explain it myself but it is running
like a charm now, hope you found Adaptecs site informative, there is also a
book out there by Sams called "The Hardware Bible" you should buy a book
like that, it goes into some good details on hardware and when ever you want
to know about certain hardware the book is right there for you to look it
up. I read it from cover to cover (except for the memory section which quite
frankly goes into way too much detail as I couldn't read a portion of a page
without passing out).

James Kerr
Metric Engineering