Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 00:02:13 -0500
Well, my company's IT department is useless so I ask for help from the
experts. I have a company provided laptop with Win2k Professional on it.
During bootup I have to 'login' with my user name and password. I also
have a desktop at home with Win98SE on it. I decided to lan the two
together with a crossover ethernet cable so that I could transfer files
easily back and forth and let the laptop share my scanner and printer
without a lot of fuss. First I enabled the sharing feature on both
computers drives, etc. After bootup, my desktop can 'see' the laptop's C
drive and the laptop can see the desktop's drives. The laptop can access
the contents of the desktop's drives but not vice versa. The desktop
give me an error message that I need to enter a password to access the
laptop's C drive. I have tried everything that I can think of, but
nothing works. Is there some place on the laptop that I need to
establish a lan user and password to let the desktop access the laptop?
Or is there someplace on the laptop to find out what the access code is?
(The company did give me the administrator's password for the laptop -
perhaps I need to use that to log in? But I am confused because my own
desktop only has a Microsoft Network Access username and password.
Perhaps that has to be the same as the Win2K system? I tried to find
archievs of this on the no-spin site but I even got lost there. Oh well,
maybe I'm just a lost cause anyway.  Any help would be better than what
my IT dept. told me. (They said hook up the cable between the two
computers and it 'should' work!!)

Jean Bourvic