From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 06:46:24 -0700
I've seen odd behavior like this with one of the software applications I
support.  In the past we have been able to solve it by ripping out the
entire suite of network protocols and services, then reinstalling.
Unfortunately, there have been times when this has happened that we've been
left with no other option than to rebuild the server.

On a purely anecdotal note, very odd behaviors can occur when messing with
network protocols and your login client.  Where I used to work we were using
Novell, and the Windows 95 and 98 workstations were using Novell's Client32
(all 10,000 of them).  When you install Client32, some portion of the
Windows based IPX/SPX files gets removed.  If you ever needed to remove
Client32 for some reason and log in using the MS client for Novell, you
could not do so if you had not retrieved the file that was deleted when
Client32 was originally installed (we had the file and instructions on a
network drive).  I can't remember if we had the same problem with Windows
2000 Pro or not.

I say all that to say this.  It is not at all inconceivable that a program
dependant on network connectivity will really mess with your network
settings or files.  Especially if the program was not developed with the
specific OS you are using in mind.

Kyle Elmblade
Distinct Computer Solutions
Sales - Upgrades - Training - Consulting
"A closed mouth gathers no foot"