From:
Colin Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 17:45:10 -0500
I am presently trying to reinstall Windows 95. The hard drive was formatted prior to this. When the PC starts the boot disc loads ok and I am able to key d:\setup.exe to start installing from the Windows 95 CD. Win95 starts the initial checks and then displays the following error message :

"Setup found a compressed volume or a disk cache utility on your computer. Quit setup and check your compressed volume with your disk compression software or remove the disc cache utility. Then run setup again."

Having formatted the hard drive prior to attempting to install windows I cannot understand how any disk compression or disk cache software could still be on the computer. At this point you are given the option to quit setup or continue, if you continue the instalation wizard starts and then
displays the following error messa
ge:

"Setup could not create files on your startup drive and cannot set up Windows. If you have HPFS or Windows NT file systems you must create an MS-DOS boot partition. If you have LANtastic server or SuperStor  compression disable it before running setup."

Again as stated earlier the hard drive was formatted prior to trying to install windows 95, and does not have any of these as far as I am aware

I have checked Microsoft Support etc for assistance and tried, as far as my understanding of PC's goes, their suggestions to resolve the issue without success

Can anyone help - thanks

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml