Date:
Sun, 1 Jan 2006 09:33:01 -0800
Gordon,

Are the system files the only ones getting corrupted? It is possible that a
failing hard disk or the disk controller could be causing the problem. Don't
overlook the cable as a possible source of trouble as well. However, it
seems to me that if it was hardware failure that was causing this, you would
see various failures and not just system file corruption.

I would recommend that you try using a different hard disk - even if you
have to borrow one for a while. This would eliminate the hard disk as a
source of trouble. If you have no more corruption with the new HD, then it
would seem that it could have been the problem. And yes, it is possible for
some viruses to hide in the boot sectors - others on the list may have more
input on this. If you rewrite the MBR, I believe that such viruses are
overwritten.

Peter