From:
Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:20:11 -0400
>>>Date:    Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:31:43 -0500
From:    Vern Plumlee <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Unmountable Boot Volume

I have an XP Home OS in a Compaq computer and keep getting the blue screen
with an error message reading "Unmountable Boot Volume." Received no
"restore" disk with it. It is a celeron 1300. what do I do to get to
windows? Have tried safe mode with no response. Please help ! Vern
Plumlee<<<

From what it sounds like Vern, the boot.ini file has become corrupted. If
you can use another PC to get to the internet, download the Windows XP setup
disc from Microsoft directly (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994).
After the file is downloaded, run the program and follow the prompts. You'll
need six floppies for this and make sure the PC is set to boot from floppy
first.. Another option might be to take the hard drive out and place it in
another PC running XP and run Chkdsk on the drive.
(http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/winxp/howto3/unmountable.htm) I
haven't personally tried this approach.
On another note, I have found a few threads that describe an intermittent
problem using the setup discs approach that mentions a problem with the file
autochk.exe not being found. This website explains and offers a solution.
(http://www.techtips4u.com/kb/sw/SW00014.htm)
HTH

Chris Ryan
E-Mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>