From:
unclerichard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 14:59:36 +1200
Susan: I had the same trouble. The local HP tech sent me the following step
by step guide.

HOW TO REMOVE AND REINSTALL YOUR SCANNER

Below are the steps to follow to remove and reinstall your scanner and
scanning software

1. Shut down your PC and unplug the scanner from the back of your PC
2. Restart into windows and click on start
3. Click on Settings, Control Panel
4. Double click on Add/Remove Programs
5. Find the HP Scanning Software in the list and click on it (so that it
   is highlighted)
6. Click on Add/Remove button down the bottom of the screen
7. Your computer will probably shut down.
8. Restart PC into Windows
9. Double click on My Computer and click on the view menu
10.         Click on Options or Folder Options (depends on Windows
   version)
11.         Click on View
12.         Make sure "Show All Files" is chosen
13.         Click on OK, and close My Computer
14.         On the keyboard hold down the Alt and Ctrl keys and tap the
   Delete key
15.         You should get a close program box.
16.         Highlight anything in the list except Explorer and Systray
17.         Click on End Task.
18.         Repeat steps 14-17 until only Explorer and Systray are the
   only items left
19.         Click on Start, Find/Search, Files or folders
20.         In the named box type hpsj*.*
21.         In the look in box make sure that it is your local hard
   drive (usually C:)
22.         Click on Find/Search Now
23.         Click on the Edit Menu, choose Select All
24.         Press Delete on keyboard and say Yes to sending items to
   recycle bin
25.         Now replace the hpsj*.* with hpscn*.*
26.         In the look in box make sure that it is your local hard
   drive (usually C:)
27.         Click on Find/Search Now
27.         Repeat steps 23 and 24
28.         Now replace the hpscn*.* with *.tmp
29.         In the look in box make sure that it is your local hard
   drive (usually C:)
30.         Click on Find/Search Now
31.         Repeat steps 23 and 24
32.         Now locate your scanning software CD and put into CD-ROM
   drive
33.         Run through installation of software again.
34.         After software is installed it should shut down the PC
35.         Plug the scanner back into the back of the PC and restart
   computer
36.         Test your scanner to make sure that it is working and that
   this has solved your problem.

Richard Innes
Auckland New Zealand

---