Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 20:58:32 -0500

-------------bunch of stuff snipped-----------------

> >         On boot-up, system stops at---
> >
> >         256KB CACHE MEMORY
> >         Missing operating system
> >

> > OK---I'll boot from floppy to look at C drive.  Put in
> > diskette---same message.
> >
> > Next thing I notice is---Drive A is 5.25", Drive B is 3.5"
> >
> > OK---I'll go into CMOS and rearrange boot sequence.  Guess what!
> > It's passworded!  Owner doesn't know password!  UGHH!!  (and I told
> > him I could probably figure this situation out;  hmmm....not good)
> >
> >         This rookie needs some direction, please.
> >
> > System info---
> >
> > 486DX2
> > Drive A- 5.25"
> > Drive B- 3.5"
> > AMIBIOS date 11/11/92
> > 8MB RAM

newest issue of MS-NEWS Digest happens to have the program your looking
for.
here's the info :

ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/sysutl/cmostool.zip  19577
bytes

cmostool.zip    CMOSTool v1.0: CMOS utility

CMOSTool is a program for working with CMOS memory.  You can delete the
values currently in CMOS memory (which will remove the password), save
values in CMOS memory to a file, load values into CMOS memory from a
file, hex dump the CMOS memory to screen, and write a value to any
address within the CMOS.  This program should support 64, 128, and 2048
byte CMOS's.

Special requirements: None.

hope this helps

michael galante