From:
Donald DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2010 13:43:18 -0400
Hello everyone

Thanks for all of your suggestions, I read up on all the information I could
find on MBR infections and decided to give it a try.

First thing I did was to remove the Slave Drive (Drive 1) in preparation for
deleting and replacing the MBR files. I put the Windows XP CD in the tray
and after several attempts the computer finally started to read it. It took
several more attempts to get to the repair section. (I would say it took me
about two days trying to accomplish getting this far due to the almost
complete take-over of my computer). Following all the instructions, I chose
the “r” command to set in motion the repair procedure and then I was asked
to type in my password. I never had a password on this computer. Needless to
say I couldn’t proceed any further. Somehow I managed to get into the
Control Panel and disabled everything that looked liked passwords however I
never was able to get the computer to read the CD again.

Went out and purchased a new hard drive (a SATA), install it, reinstalled
the OS and most of the programs including AVG, Superantispyware and
Megabytes anti malware. On the third day into the new hard drive everything
was running as normal and after running numerous scans, I reinstalled the
Slave Drive (a SATA).

After booting up, I noticed in the My Computer window, the Slave Drive was
not listed. Also going into Disk Management, Disk #1 (my slave drive) was
not there. I performed a hard drive diagnostic test and Drive 0 and Drive 1
both passed. Took the drive out and replaced it with a slave from another
computer and it was recognized immediately. This doesn’t look good. All my
files are on that drive. It was in perfect operating condition before the
infection took over.

What are my options now? Can I bring the drive back to life or is it a lost
cause?

Don

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>