From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:08:01 -0800
I am not sure if Carlos really means a motherboard low level
format..........some old 386 and 486 motherboard that were designed for old
AT drives came with a BIOS feature that would low level format your AT hard
drive. If you are using one of these ancient boards and you see that option
leave it alone. NEVER use this feature on a modern IDE or EIDE drive or you
will destroy your hard drive.

Hard drive manufactures post utilities that are specific to their drives
that will <pseudo> low level format the drive which means that they will
attempt to cleanse it , check it and restore it to the condition the
platter was in when it left the factory.

                                  -----