From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 18:26:44 -0800
On 22 Jul 98 at 16:19, Nicolas Cure wrote:

> Thanks for your suggestion. But what would you recomend if I
> wanted to buy a wide hard drive, which in fact is what I'm planning
> to buy. What is your opinion on the 2940UW. I aprreciate all your
> help since this is really the first time I'm going to build my own
> PC.

  As I recall, you intended to add a scanner to this system.  You can
free the card's external connector for use by running all narrow
devices internally, or by putting wide/narrow adapters on devices
that don't match the connector you're using, or by using a card with
only one (narrow...) internal connector.

  My reservation about the 2940UW is that the external connector on
it-- which you can't reliably use anyway if you use both the wide and
narrow internal connectors -- is wide.  You're not likely to be
looking at wide external devices, so you're going to add an expensive
wide-to-narrow adapter to the UW's external connector.
  The Diamond Fireport 40 offers similar capability, and a narrow
external connector, for about half the price of a 2940UW.  That's
what I recommend to people who might want to add a wide drive, but
are on a budget.

David G