From:
Dale Mentzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 18:31:27 -0500
On  2 Jun 01 at 0:00, Demetri wrote:

>>I note that some monitor cords have devices incorporated, presumedly to
>>protect against some type of interference. Questions: Harm if not use such a
>>cord on monitor that came with this type cord? Improve performance on
>>monitor that came with cord lacking such a device?
>>
>>Demetri Kolokotronis

These are ferrite inductors (chokes) used to suppress Radio Frequency
Interference (RFI) for compliance with US FCC RFI emission limits by
preventing the monitor cable from becoming a "broadcast antenna" for
the RFI. There are circuits in most/all power supplies that work
to prevent the power cord from doing the same thing. HTH.

Regards,
Dale Mentzer

I'm just working here till a good fast-food job opens up.

    This mail written by a user of Arachne, the DOS Internet Client
                WWWWW World Wide Web Without Windows
          http://home.arachne.cz Arachne DOS Browser Home Page