From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 08:28:27 -0800
On 14 Mar 2003, at 8:53, Dennis Thiel wrote:

> I'd like to set up a VPN connection but don't know where to start as far
> as what software and hardware I need. Do I need server software, a VPN
> capable router, etc.?
>
> Any help or a point to a website would be helpful.

  There are two basic forms of VPN, and it's not obvious which you have in
mind:

1.  Network-to-network
  The VPN looks, to machines on either network, like a direct route from one
to the other, when in fact it encapsulates all the traffic and carries it
safely over some intervening networks, usually the Internet.  Frequently
used to link branch offices to headquarters.

2.  Remote client
  The VPN secures connection of each individual client to the network,
allowing home-office and mobile users to connect securely to private
resources back on the office network.

  There's also a mailing list dedicated to VPN technologies:

> VPN mailing list

David Gillett