From:
Constance Chang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 12:28:52 -0700
David,

COMPAQ and Packard Bell computer don't use proprietary memory.  Their
computers have more detailed requirements for the memory.

The easiest way will be checking out mail order places, they usually have
other memory that will work with COMPAQ computer (not from COMPAQ.)  Like
Kinston, PNY, ....  They all have model that will work with COMPAQ.  Or you
can check out Kingston's web page, I think they have reference number for
you to look up.  Then call up the mail order company for the specific
model.  (Make sure you can return or exchange if the memory doesn't work)
I have got a couple Kingston and PNY memory for COMPAQ computers, they work
perfectly fine, just make sure don't get the wrong memory model number.

On the user manual from COMPAQ, it usually has specification on what kind
of memory you should get.  You can follow the spec and go to the local
computer store, and ask for compatible memory.  Depends on how "kind" the
people are in the store, sometimes you can find the right one in the first
shot and at a pretty low rate.  (Make sure they will take it back if they
cannot get it to work.)

good luck
Constance