From:
Jeffrey Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 23:14:50 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

<snip>

> Now, here may be a clue for those of you that understand more about
> WIN95 than I do:
>
> The machine will boot into protected mode (F8) with no problems at all
> and protected mode runs fine with full desktop and so on. This really
> has me stumped. Running scandisk shows no problems on the drive.
> "Bootlog.txt" is not written to the drive, so I can't go on that.

What I would try would be to step through the boot sequence one command
at a time, at first answering NO to nearly everything. Since the system
boots completely in Safe mode, it might also boot this way. If so, go
through the boot sequence again, this time answering YES to one or more
of the commands. Eventually you'll get to the point where you've
answered YES to everything and it doesn't boot, but the last thing
before that point might give a clue to the problem.

Alternatively, but not as effective in my mind, would be to have the
system write the bootlog and then analyze it for errors. The bootlog
option is available on the boot menu, along with option to confirm every
step. Just press F8 when you see the message "Starting Windows 95."

Good luck, and post back if you need more help.

Jeff Delzer