Date:
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 08:07:07 -0400
>In a message dated 11/24/98 12:21:17 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:

><< I have the same kind of problem with a new built machine. The only common
>point is the hard drive (WD) and the Operating System. (PII 333, 16 mb) When I chek in
>My Computer...then, properties....  Performance Tab, it say <Compatibility mode
>paging reduces overall system performance > then <drive c: using MS-DOS
>compatibility>, the same message appears for all the drives (including CD-ROM drive).
> Then on the Device Manager tab, there is a yellow exclamation mark under the
>title <Hard disk controller> beside <primary ide controller (single FIFO)>.
> So what to do?
> Thank you.

> Fabio Di Tomasso

>Fabio:
>I had the same problem as well.  Win95 233 mhz 2.1gigHD.  Turned out I had a
>virus.  When I clicked on details under that dos mode message it said that the
>mbr had been changed.  After running Norton AV v.5 it found several viruses,
>cleaned them out, and I was back to "optimal performance".
>HTH
>Kevin Nowicki

Kevin:
Thank you for your help, I tried to run an antivirus, as you advice, but no virus
were found. Beside I made a try: I remarked (put a REM) all the lines in Config.sys
and Autoexec.bat loding DOS drivers. (The only DOS drivers that are loaded are the
ones for the CD-ROM drive) Then, when I rebooted, the CD-ROM drive were gone from
the Explorer, so I get the CD-ROM drive working only when the DOS drivers for it
are loaded. Can somebody give some advices to solve this problem?
Thank you.
Fabio Di Tomasso