From:
Anthony Garvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:59:59 -0500
Hello,  We have used a pair of "Tut Systems XL-600L"
 http://www.tutsys.com/pdflibrary/pdf/XL600LD_DS.pdf
repeaters to connect our ethernet to an external building at a distance of
over 500 feet.  We have had no trouble after several years and installation
was effortless.  We recently installed a pair of "Patton 2158 CopperLink"
repeaters
http://www.arcelect.com/Patton_2158_ethernet_extender.htm to link another
building.  The Tut is good up to 600 feet over a copper phone-wire pair with
a throughput of 10mpbs and costs about $280/pair.  The Patton boasts
12.5mbps possible over a single phone-wire pair up to 4500 feet(!) and costs
about $480/pair.  It was easy to install and has been working flawlessly.
Way faster and cheaper than PairGain.  If you bury cable on farmland, try to
put it "below plow depth" - usually 18 inches.

>A client wants to have internet service (Direct TV) approximately 500 feet
> from the dish.
> I've been reading about External ethernet cable and active hubs. There
> seems
> to be a limit of 100 meters.
> Is there a wireless solution? Line of sight is possible.
> There's no problem with burying the cable on this farmland, and money
> seems
> to be available in resonable amounts.
> Any thoughts on the best approach to this problem would be apprreciated.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml