From:
Phillip Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Dec 2009 01:29:23 -0500
 I have a dial-up connection that connects on average at 48 to 50k. I
found a great deal on a wireless G router and wonder if it would be
possible to use it with dial-up. Hopefully, one day I'll have a faster
connection service but for now I would love to be able to have a
wireless connection throughout the house without the headache of
running new phone lines. My main internet pc is in the basement.

 If I am able to use the router in this way, will I be able to use my
computer to make the connection (perhaps like a server) so whoever
wants to connect wouldn't need to know my log-in password? Or would
they have to have the providers' software installed? I use AOL. Yes, I
know it's really flakey software but I haven't tried any others that
worked better enough to warrent the change over.

 Another possibility would be using another pc I have with a usb
wireless setup upstairs, which is where any guest would be accessing
the net, so I could log on to AOL then let them use this pc. But if a
guest has specific software on their laptop or stored passwords for
what sites they may visit, this could be a problem..

I don't have much network set-up experience so any suggestions would
be most welcome.

-Phil-

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads