From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 22:17:56 -0500
My ISP is trying to convince me that the Lucent-based LT modems are
more reliable and connect better than a USR hardware (not winmodem) modem.
He says that the LT modems connect at 56K **all** the time.

Does anyone have experience with the LT modems to support this claim?

He also made the statement that:
USR modems are famous for not being able
to connect to other USR modems.

Anyone want to comment on that?

The root of all this is that I just installed a new USR/3Com model 2976
internal hardware modem and I can not get a consistent connection
with my ISP.  And yes, I have installed the latest driver for my model
modem.

My old KFlex winmodem always connected fine albiet slow.  The new
USR is connecting very erratically as shown in the below connection log.

If I dial in to the trunk line that connects me to the LT modems,
it connects at 32888 EVERY time -- solid as a rock.

If I dial in to the trunk line that connects to his USR X2 V90 modems
then this is a sample of what happens:

DATE       TIME       SPEED
1/11/00     7:00am    32888
1/11/00     7:12am    40000
1/11/00     9:25am    28800
1/11/00     9:28am    31333
1/11/00     9:32am    42666

Two other pertinent facts.
I have the latest drivers for the modem.
When I call the USR line test it tells me I have a
56K connection EACH and EVERY time I have called.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html